Monday, January 12, 2009

More Melbourne Day 2 - Dinner and Cockails


After yet another nap at home, I went with Amanda and Chris to "Le Gourmet", a French restaurant about 4 doors down from their apartment (very convenient stumbling distance).


The good things about this restaurant:
  • The food (all tasty)
  • The proximity to Chris and Amanda's apartment
The bad:
  • The wallpaper (almost has to be seen to be believed)
Le Gourmet is quite pricey (although not for me, since my dinner there was my Christmas present from Chris, Amanda and Alex), but fairly good for a special occasion. Amanda and I shared entrees to start, so I was able to try both the spiced quail and the prosciutto-wrapped, blue cheese-stuffed figs - both were delicious. For the main I had kangaroo and dessert was crepes suzette - again both delicious.

The real highlight evening was the cocktail bar Chris and Amanda took me to after dinner: 1806 (on Exhibition St). They have an enormous cocktail list - with both old and new cocktails available. If you sit at the bar you can watch all the cocktails being made, which is a pleasantly diverting way of passing the time. Chris ordered a Blue Blazer - just so we could watch them make it. It involves setting the alcohol on fire in a metal jug, and then pouring it from one jug into another before serving in a glass tumbler. Sadly, I didn't think to take a photo. On Amanda's recommendation, I ordered a Xanadu Fancy - which has passionfruit vodka and other stuff and tastes like sherbet. It was so good I had a second one after the first (instead of trying something new). All in all it was an extremely enjoyable experience - delicious cocktails, not crowded and no thumping music (just decent background). In fact, any bar that doesn't make me want to kill all humans has to be pretty awesome :)

1 comment:

  1. that cocktail bar is awesome as u would find most bars in melb. No thumping stupid r&b and hip hop. Perth clubs hav no taste in music - exception Amps

    ReplyDelete